Macular degeneration is the leading cause of blindness among Americans who are age 65 and older. Here are some steps you can take to prevent vision loss from macular degeneration.
Here are steps you can take to prevent or slow the progression of AMD:
- Eat plenty of dark, leafy green vegetables, such as raw spinach.
- Take a multivitamin/multimineral supplement, such as Centrum Silver, unless your doctor advises otherwise.
- If you already have AMD, ask your doctor about one of the AREDS formulations, PreserVision Areds 2, Macuhealth, or Eyescience Macular Health.
- Eat fish or take a fish oil supplement.
- Exercise regularly and maintain healthy weight.
- Eat fruit and nuts daily.
- Reduce refined carbohydrates, such as white bread, white potatoes, donuts, pretzels, and watermelon.
- Control your blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Wear sunglasses outdoors to block UV.
- Reduce blue light that may cause eye damage.
- Stop smoking!
- Have regular eye exams.